Thursday 23 June 2011

HST in BC - Why I'm Voting NO (In BC, YES means NO)

From The Iceman:

"Regarding the HST, I never opposed merging the taxes, my fervent opposition was about the BC Liberals using it to jack up the cost of food, recreation, and various services by 7%. The federal government gave the Liberals the option not to add 7% to all these consumer goods, and that offer was declined. Things from gym memberships to haircuts did not need to become more expensive. You can charge two different rates. This isn't 1930. I'd rather modify the HST than scrap it altogether, but that is not an option on the referendum ballots we are waiting to receive. 

Dropping the rate to 10% on all goods and services would easily offset the 7% increase on the smaller basket, I just don't trust the Liberals to do it." 

 Merging the Provincial and Federal sales tax to create the HST is a better tax system,  
but I'm voting NO in the referendum for the same reasons as The Iceman.  
(Remember sales tax on a new house went up too --  mucho bucks.)


In BC, YES means NO

No comments:

Post a Comment