Monday 19 September 2011

Kelo-New London land seizure should have failed. Connecticut Judge apologizes.

Connecticut Supreme Court Justice to Susette Kelo: “I’m Sorry”
Justice Richard Palmer
If he knew then what he knows now, he would have voted to uphold Kelo's petition against the City of New London.  The 4:3 decision would have been 3:4 and the case would never have gone to the US Supreme Court.   Seizure by "Eminent Domain" appeals to self-important officials.
Facing me, he said: "Had I known all of what you just told us, I would have voted differently." Then Justice Palmer turned to Susette, took her hand and offered a heartfelt apology. Tears trickled down her red cheeks. It was the first time in the 12-year saga that anyone had uttered the words "I'm sorry."
I'm impressed with the Justice's integrity.
September 3rd story: Years Later, Land Seized in Kelo Decision Used for Debris Dump ...
Susette Kelo in front of her lost home

No comments:

Post a Comment