Monday 29 July 2013

$325,000 Hamburger grown in a lab. UPDATE: Taste test

The first taste test of lab-grown hamburger meat is coming next week in London.  Nicknamed the "Shamburger", the muscle tissue was grown at Maastricht University.

Lab meat
As a kid I wondered where the meat on a cow was located, not realizing meat is muscle with a bit of fat. Although the idea of lab-meat grosses me out, I think the day is coming when it will make perfect sense and taste first rate on a barbecue.  The meat can be grown using less energy than a cow would do.  For those of you alarmed about stuff in the atmosphere, there would be no cow farts either.     Meat is meat and if it can be grown from the same rudiments that creatures use, then it can be perfected and tasty.

UPDATE:
"I was expecting the texture to be more soft... there is quite some intense taste; it's close to meat, but it's not that juicy. The consistency is perfect, but I miss salt and pepper.
"This is meat to me. It's not falling apart"
For other opinions and the news that Google funded the experiment, click here at the BBC. 
.


No comments:

Post a Comment