Monday 31 August 2015

Trump looks at the future in 1987: "Motivating good people to do their best work"

I just finished "The Art of the Deal" (1987) to get a handle on Trump's prospects.  Before talking about the future he first makes clear:
   Do everything on time and on budget.
   Be neat as a pin.
   Be outstanding in a striking way.
   Please your customers (especially rich ones).
This isn't a clown car show. He is a boaster but no an idle one.
He meets one-on-one with the people who make decisions.  This is the opposite of Obama's ex cathedra style which rarely deigns to persuade and meet.  This style is mostly non-partisan, a simple assessment of who has the power to make a deal.   There may be policy hodge podges under a President Trump but congress will be less divided.  Though I didn't admire President Johnson, he was the last one with a reputation for knowing how to get people lined up for a vote.

And the future?  The last page of the book from the pen of a 41 year old:
1987

  " I've spent the first twenty years of my working life building, accumulating, and accomplishing things that many said could not be done.  The biggest challenge I see over the next twenty years is to figure out some creative ways to give back some of what I've gotten.
   ... It's easy to be generous when you've got a lot, and anyone who does, should be.  But what I admire more are people who put themselves directly on the line.  I've never been terribly interested in why people give, because their motivation is rarely what is seems to be, and it's almost never pure altruism.  To me, what matters is the doing ...
    In my life, there are two things I've found I'm very good at: overcoming obstacles and motivating good people to do their best work.  One of the challenges ahead is how to use those skills as successfully in the service of others as I've done, up to now, on my own behalf."

2015

Twenty seven years after writing "The Art of the Deal", he has found a creative way to give back something and if it motivates good people to do their best work, it will be worth it. (What a blowhard!).

No comments:

Post a Comment