Thursday 14 October 2021

Find out the names of any plant or animal and get free help too. iNaturalist app

I first downloaded the iNaturalist app for help naming plants on Vancouver Island where I had recently moved. My first discovery is that these apps have come an amazing long way with excellent suggestions customized for location.  To my astonishment, a few plants that I wasn't sure of attracted identity help from other botanists who were roving through unresolved i.d.'s.  Then almost by accident I took a photo of a dead bird and found it accurately named too.   Then a caterpillar!   Every living thing can be helpfully i.d.'d or at least guessed.  It's not just plants.

There's a collaboration with the California Academy of Science and National Geographic and that explains the interested volunteers who are checking out the unresolved identities and researching questions of their own. 

It's a research tool, as you can tell by scanning the image attached, but you're welcome to drop in with questions because your photos improve the database.

The website lets you download the app which works on all devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment